TT Games has yet again surprised us all, dropping an out-of-nowhere announcement for THE LEGO MOVIE 2 Videogame this morning, just about two hours ago. There has been a lot of speculation about whether or not this game would be released, given that all previous LEGO Movies have gotten an adaptation of sorts (including the LEGO Batman Movie Story Pack for LEGO Dimensions), yet the previous game, LEGO NINJAGO, didn’t meet sales expectations. The game will release 18 days after the movie (February 8, 2019), on February 26, 2019. It will first launch for Playstation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo eShop, and PC, and the Switch retail version will launch a month later on March 26, 2019.
- Emmet, Lucy, LEGO Batman and their friends are back along with new and mysterious characters such as General Mayhem and Rex Dangervest.
- Unlock and play as over 100 playable characters from The LEGO Movie 2 and the first film.
NEW WORLDS TO DISCOVER
- Journey to the Systar System and discover new worlds.
- Scour the LEGO galaxy for Relics and Master Pieces.
- Explore new worlds from LEGO Movie 2 and revisit iconic locations from the first film.
IT’S YOUR WORLD TO REBUILD
- Build special LEGO objects to discover new areas and items.
- Unleash your inner Master Builder and rebuild your own world.
- Use tools to create roads, change the landscape and build structures to unlock more rewards and missions.
- Improved combat mechanics
- Battle against the alien space invaders and challenging bosses.
- Use combos to unleash a special build attack for each character.
There are quite a few interesting tidbits of info we can get from this. First, we can assume that the open world will be like that of LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens; that is, separated into many smaller hubs such as the various Systar planets and Desert Bricksburg, along with previous locations from the first movie. I, for one, am crossing my fingers that we get to walk through Bricksburg from the first movie.
Second, it appears as if this game may be like LEGO Worlds. This matches up with the rumor of a LEGO Worlds/LEGO Movie 2 crossover that we heard a few months back. This is going to be exciting, as the prospect of a game like Worlds being meshed with a full, single-player, open-world game is great and matches up with the message behind the entire LEGO Movie universe.
And finally, it looks as if we will be getting a combat system similar to that of The LEGO Ninjago Movie Videogame, which is, well, “awesome.” Ninjago, in my opinion, is the most fun LEGO game when it comes down to playability. I’m very glad this is getting grafted into this game.
You can check out some screenshots of the game below, along with a trailer for The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part.
Want More Lego Game News?
Make sure you follow, like and subscribe across all our social media pages!